Wednesday, December 15, 2021

stacking up my house of cards

I forgot to blog last night due to slight post-travel delirium - I made it back to ye olde Iowa safely, grabbed some groceries on the way home, and also had dinner with my parents. I'm sad that my Hawaii vacation is over, but I'm excited to do some projects and also hang out here for the rest of the holidays.

Today, though, was strange - we were anticipating severe winds and weather, but they didn't arrive until later in the day, so I theoretically had time to do stuff in the morning. This mostly involved unpacking, doing laundry, etc., and also taking care of a few work things that were time-sensitive and had to happen today. I also cleaned my fridge, which was way overdue since it wasn't properly cleaned when I moved in and I hadn't had time or inclination to deal with it earlier. And, someone came to measure the house for new carpet / flooring - this is perhaps not the most pressing problem with the house, but the carpet in most of the house is approximately 33 years old, and so while they maintained it well, it seems like a good idea to replace it before I fill the place with furniture (but ideally after I paint).

I didn't go to my parents' tonight due to the storm - instead, I hunkered here, which was the right call since my parents lost power and I didn't. The wind was quite extreme at times, but as far as I know I don't have any real damage - time will tell when I inspect in the morning. This storm also hit my brother's city pretty hard, which is unfortunate since they're still recovering from last year's derecho, so hopefully this didn't cause too much additional damage.

And now, I really should sleep, which is what I should have done two hours ago - goodnight!

No comments: