Thursday, December 30, 2021

now i'm not breaking, the train's just shaking

I'm v. tired, but my living room is fully painted and looks great. [censored] and I got to my house to paint this morning and discovered that the furnace wasn't running properly last night, so it was approximately sixty degrees (and there may be a longer-term problem with my air conditioner that is a problem for Future Sara). That took the wind out of our sails, so we sat on the floor and drank coffee and contemplated. That contemplation led to me running an errand in the morning that I'd intended to save for afternoon - I went to a carpet store to finalize carpet for installation in February. It's basically the only carpet store in the county, which made it easy to decide where to go - and I think I picked something good, but we'll see how it looks when it gets installed.

Then I came home (after a quick stop at city hall (aka a single room on Central Ave) to check on my water bill, which is sent by one of my high school classmates) and got to painting. We decided to go the conservative / high prep route and mask the walls with paper / plastic rather than attempting the fast-but-risky method of using a paint shield, so it took a couple of hours to mask the room (even with [censored]'s fancy scaffolding). Then we took a quick late lunch break at our parents' house before coming back to my place and finally painting the ceiling. This got paint and dust everywhere, but it went about as smoothly as it could have gone, so no regrets there.

After we were done, we sliced through plastic to be able to get to our rooms, and I took a much-needed shower. Then we went to our parents' place for dinner - Mom made delicious beef and gravy over mashed potatoes, which was pretty great. It would have been nice to take the rest of the night off, but instead [censored] and I came back to my house, pulled down all the plastic / masking / tape, put away the dustcloths, vacuumed, and put all the furniture back in place. The paint looks awesome, as far as I can tell at this point - [censored] did a great job taping near the ceiling, and the blueish-white color is perfect. We capped it all off with some episodes of Letterkenny, which was a great way to end the night.

However, I'm v. tired and yet need to contemplate painting tomorrow while also doing a million things to prep for a major winter storm on Saturday + consider going back to Colorado this weekend (although Colorado is not a great place to be either - hopefully all my friends who live between Denver and Boulder are safe, because the fires there today were horrid). Goodnight!

No comments: