Monday, December 27, 2021

get out quick 'cause seeing is believing

I intended to go to bed an hour ago, but if I can write this in the next five minutes I still might make it to bed before midnight. Today was a nice bridge between holidays and housework, though - I did basically nothing this morning, other than drink coffee and talk to [censored] about things that we should be doing (but had no interest in doing).

I spent the afternoon mostly focused on organizing my office - it's still quite barren-looking since it's like 400 sq ft and I only have a desk and a chair and (thanks to today's efforts) a small cart with office supplies. I guess I also have a yoga mat and a foam roller, but that's not exactly high decor. But I put the cart together and arranged the office supplies I picked up at Staples last week, and that made my nerdy office-supply-loving heart happy. I also unpacked the lamp I'd ordered - it's perhaps laughably large, but I have a large desk and it provides a lot of light (important, since Marvin didn't understand the importance of light fixtures when he built this house). So now my desk is set up less than a week before I'll be leaving - but better late than never, and I'm looking forward to writing from this desk in the future.

I also took a long break to talk to Katie, from whom I've been separated for far too long. Then I went out to my parents' house to scrounge for leftovers for dinner - my ham balls were still delicious today, if I do say so myself. And I ended the night by watching two episodes of Letterkenny before messing around upstairs and journaling a bit, so all in all, it was a good day.

Oh, and for posterity, yesterday was good too - I made delish scrambled eggs for my houseguests (happy birthday, Aunt Kathy!) before Kathy, Drewbaby, and Drewbaby's girlfriend left to go to Kansas City for a Chiefs game. Then I went to my parents' house, where it was a mad scramble to get ready for another Christmas - my sister and her kids and their kids came over, so I had to wrap some more gifts and then help my mom with the meal (it was served around 2:30, so I guess I'll call it dinner). We did a taco bar, which was perfect for the quantity and quality of people we had (fine china and a full Christmas dinner would have been wasted on the five kids under the age of ten). It all turned out well and there were only a handful of tears from a handful of children and adults, and only one child was forever traumatized by the stories they heard from my dad, so I think it was mostly a success.

And now I need to sleep so I can get some more stuff done tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: