Thursday, December 09, 2021

wave after wave, wave after wave

I had a great first full day in Hawaii - I mostly spent it getting settled, which felt delightful. I got up stupidly early due to the time shift, so I showered, ate breakfast, and then wrote for a bit. I also did laundry - while I packed pretty well for this trip, it was cold in Seattle and I didn't stick completely to my wardrobe plans there, so I needed to freshen a couple things up.

Then I went out exploring, bought some sunscreen and snacks at a pharmacy instead of the overpriced, and ate a delicious poke bowl - I'm a little worried that the poke bowls here will ruin me for my favorite poke bowl delivery in Denver, but that's a problem for Future Sara (and there will be several weeks of poke bowl drought when I'm in Iowa after this). I also got a manicure at a strange little hole in the wall place where they asked me after if I wanted to meet their cat, which made me glad I wore a mask the whole time since it probably saved me from some allergies. And I spent the afternoon napping / relaxing / brainstorming this book / brainstorming a Christmas shopping list, so that felt great.

I did end up leaving the hotel again - Alyssa, whom I've mentioned here regularly for the past ten+ years, lives in Hawaii now (I met her in the bay area, but she grew up here). So she picked me up around five, and we had a delightfully long dinner at a restaurant down the road. We focused our attention on fish, and it was great - we shared some excellent scallops and a really nice steamed fish with some ginger and scallion congee. I also had a mai tai in a v. cute pineapple-shaped glass, and I can say with certainty that that mai tai was better than the one I had here last night.

Alyssa was in great form and we had a lot to catch up on, so we chatted for a few hours, and I felt v. lucky to get to see her in person. And now, I really need to sleep - my friend Heather (aka dear respected madam) arrives tomorrow, and we have many plans after that, so I need to get some rest. Goodnight!

No comments: