Tuesday, April 25, 2023

high on the roof, thin the blood

I had a headache pretty much all day, perhaps verging on migraine-ish (although I don't know if my headaches qualify as migraines). I blame the fact that I had to stop taking my allergy meds because I have an appointment with an allergist next week, and so I woke up feeling as congested as if I had a cold, even though I do not.

I did successfully get up and write and do some stuff and go to a meeting for my mural project, so at least I was able to fake it until then. But then I came home, ate lunch, dozed, and generally deferred to my headache's desire to do nothing. I did finish reading the book I was reading last night, and it was excellent, but my headache returned in force. At some point, I decided to sit on my balcony with a blanket and my notebook and avoid looking at screens for a couple of hours - while I did not actually write, I daydreamed a lot, and my headache felt better.

Eventually, I made myself some boxed mac and cheese, which is not a dinner of champions but was better than real cooking. Then, I read a book - an on-paper book, which was better than screens, but still probably not what my headache needed. I got through 2/3 of a book called THE BOOK EATERS, which is a rather grim and depressing fantasy about some people who get all their sustenance from eating ideas (either in print form, or by sucking out people's memories). I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I will finish it because I want to know what happens. And if the last two books I read were excellent for triangulating what I want to write, this one is probably excellent for nudging me away from something that's too dark and bleak (but I think I already knew that).

And now, I need to go to sleep and hopefully get over my headache - goodnight!

No comments: