Monday, April 24, 2023

get drunk on the good life, i'll take you to paradise

I had quite an unusually productive Monday - usually Mondays get to me, but I somehow powered through this one. Granted, I slept until after nine, but that's a given. I wrote after I got up, then did some desk stuff, and then showered before having lunch with [censored]. Then, I slogged most of the afternoon - I had some stuff to do for the mural festival, so I mostly focused on that.

At some point, I ate dinner with [censored] before he drove to [censored]. After that, I took my trash to my dad's dumpster, emptied my dishwasher and did some other lowkey tasks, and then spent another hour or so working on the thing I was trying to finish. And then I rewarded myself by starting a new book - EMILY WILDE'S ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF FAERIES, which showed up on a list of new fantasy books to read (although it actually came out in January). It's the perfect companion / antidote to the heavy AI scifi that I read the last couple of nights - it's about an explorer / scientist who goes to far northern Scandinavia to search out some faeries to complete her encyclopedia, and then her love interest shows up (who might actually be one of the high fae), and then everything kind of goes to hell in a delightful way. It's all told through her journal, which I don't normally love as a construct, but this one is well done.

So, I read for three hours, which is one hour more than I intended to and about 90mins less than I want to because I really am itching to just finish it tonight. But I need to do some stuff before a meeting tomorrow, and that means I need to go to bed, so I am going to attempt to restrain myself. Goodnight!

No comments: