Wednesday, January 24, 2024

every time i see you, oh, i try to hide away

I spent the whole day, for the most part, getting ready to leave. I woke up early (for me; eight a.m. is probably not early for most people) and did a bunch of morning stuff, and then I ran into town to have a budget meeting for the nonprofit economic dev group I'm part of. I almost canceled, but I'm glad I went since otherwise I would have been lost in the next meeting. Then I went to the doctor's office and got allergy shots - and I worked on the budget follow-up while I waited to see if the shots would kill me (spoiler: like every other time, they did not kill me).

Then I rushed home and frantically packed. Luckily I started yesterday, but I had a lot to organize - now that I no longer travel every couple of weeks, none of my stuff is as streamlined for travel as it used to be. I ate lunch around two p.m., kept packing, and was finally done around 4:30.

In my original plan, I was going to sleep at home tonight and go to the airport early tomorrow. But, it was foggy and misty and in danger of icing, and so I decided to stay in Des Moines tonight and avoid a 5am drive to the airport. I'm so glad I did - the fog at the airport is intense, and if I had to drive through this in the morning, I would be v. sad. Of course, everyone else had the same idea, so that hotel I would have stayed at sold out, and apparently this hotel is now sold out as well.

But I got up here with no issues, and then I grabbed dinner at a v. surprisingly tasty Mediterranean place a couple of blocks from the hotel. It was truly excellent, and also cheap, so hopefully I'll go back sometime. And then I did a bunch of work in the lobby, and now I need to go to bed - I don't have to get up as early as I would have if I'd stayed home, but I still have to get up early for me (and maybe even early for most people). Goodnight!

No comments: