Sunday, January 21, 2024

i know a woman in new mexico

I actually wrote a post last night, but I was typing it on my phone while I was falling asleep (and kept dropping my phone on my face), and I somehow didn't publish it. So, it's below for posterity!

Today was v. lowkey - I'm very tired of it being too cold / messy to do stuff, and it's getting to my mood. But I started off strong - I slept in, and then I made syrniki (Ukrainian cheese pancakes) with the farmer's cheese that I created this week. I used gluten free flour and they turned out great - since they aren't a dough that needs to rise, the gluten free flour worked just fine. And so far there is no sign that the homemade farmer's cheese is going to poison us, so fingers crossed that that trend continues.

The syrniki turned out v. tasty, if I do say so myself - even better with a dollop of sour cream and some blackberry preserves on top. It's interesting to me how Slavic cuisine really leaned into 'sour' as an important flavor, because sour cream goes with everything they make. You can't really taste the cheese in the pancakes, per se, even though it's the main ingredient; instead, it just imparts a savory / slightly sour flavor. All in all, I'm a fan, and [censored] ate several too.

Drewbaby and his friend came back from hunting while I was making the syrniki (they were out at my parents' house in the wee hours to hunt, although they spent last night at my house). They each had one, and then left in search of real food before heading back to Des Moines. Then, I took care of a variety of tings around the house, none of which is interesting.

Eventually, after getting through the day, I made burrito bowls for dinner, which [censored] and I ate while watching last night's SNL. And now, I need to start unwinding so I can go to bed and get a million things done tomorrow - goodnight!

// last night's post:

The last couple of days have been nice, albeit v cold. I went to Des Moines yesterday, which was probably ill advised due to the cold and snow conditions - but I had an appointment to inject botox into my jaw to stop it from clenching, and I didn’t want to forsake it just because of a little weather.

The rest of the day was quick - I didn’t feel like venturing to Whole Foods or Costco, but I grabbed lunch, took care of a return, and came home. [censored] and I then went to mom and dad's for supper - mom made a prime rib, which was a delight.

Today was low key by comparison - i did a bunch of house stuff, ate some leftover tofu, and eventually convinced Michael to drive me into town to pick up Mexican food. It was super tasty, and segued almost straight into Drewbaby bringing a friend to spend the night so they can go hunting tomorrow. And now I desperately need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: