Monday, January 01, 2024

high on the hog

Happy New Year! I'm v. excited for 2024, mostly because my handwritten scrawl produces odd-looking threes and it has bothered me in my journal all year.

I woke up this morning after not quite enough sleep, but I felt better than I deserved after drinking a whole bottle of wine (over the course of six hours) and eating two funfetti cupcakes (over the course of five minutes). I made coffee, cleaned some of the dishes in my kitchen, showered, and then went out to my parents' house with a few bags of food and a lot of twice-baked potatoes. Drewbaby, Sammie, and Aunt Kathy came down for lunch, and we had a v. lowkey but tasty meal - we ate the second batch of ham balls that I made at Christmas, as well as twice-baked potatoes, baked beans, and a salad. It wasn't an extravagant feast, but it was extremely delicious, and it was also much easier than most of our feasts, so I'll take it.

Then, everyone but my dad played a few rounds of CAMEL UP - it continues to be a crowd-pleaser, and also is so strategic-but-unpredictable that the wins were spread pretty evenly (I think it was Aunt Kathy, Drewbaby, and me for the wins today). The Des Moines area crew left around four to get home and prepare for work tomorrow (or, in Aunt Kathy's case, prepare to continue to enjoy retirement), and I talked to my parents for a bit before coming home and chilling out.

This mostly meant hanging out at my desk, which I have greatly missed the last few days after too many shenanigans. But I did make a plate of fancy cheese and charcuterie (which I had bought for this afternoon but didn't get out in the midst of game playing), which made for a tasty dinner. I also talked to [censored] for a bit before retreating to my office again and messing around with my new 2024 planner. And now, I need to sleep - I'm hoping I can get a little caught up tonight and still get up early enough tomorrow to be somewhat productive. Goodnight!

No comments: