Saturday, January 27, 2024

every myth cheats death just the same

I had a nearly perfect day - perhaps it would have been more perfect with a bunch of friends, but who's to say. I got a ton of sleep but still woke up a little after seven, which is the miracle of an east-to-west travel pattern. I went downstairs and grabbed a cup of coffee, and then I sat in a chair overlooking the ocean and drank my coffee while journaling. This is a big upgrade from looking at a five-foot berm of snow between me and a convenience store, let me tell you.

When I finally got tired of journaling (and ran out of coffee), I took a quick shower and then had breakfast at one of the hotel restaurants. Then, I put on my swimsuit and spent the whole afternoon at the rooftop pool. This was mostly relaxing, although there was a family of cannonballing children who harshed my mellow a bit...but some tequila restored it, so I was in a good mood overall. And I watched the sun set over the Pacific while eating oysters and drinking a glass of rosé, which is about as nice of an end to the day as one can have.

As soon as the sun set, it started to get cold, so I retired to my room and changed before seeking out dinner. I went to the bar of the Mexican restaurant in my hotel, which happens to have a Michelin star - and I have never had a Michelin-star quesadilla before, but I am here to report that it absolutely deserves that star, and it is exponentially better than any quesadilla made by Napoleon Dynamite. In fact, I had the quesadilla (although they called it a quesataco), and then the tamal (also outstanding), and I ordered another quesadilla instead of getting desert, and I have #noregrets. And I had some Mexican tempranillo to go with it - I'm completely unfamiliar with Mexican wine, but this red was particularly delightful.

While I ate, I finished the book I started at the pool (THE BULLET THAT MISSED). And now, it's only 10:15pm Pacific, but I think I need to start winding down - goodnight!

No comments: