Tuesday, March 27, 2018

you got a fast car, i want a ticket to anywhere

I had a lovely day in the city of sin, despite being at work (or work-related activities) from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 p.m. I spent the day at the San Francisco office - a different San Francisco office than I usually go to, since my company keeps expanding and swallowing new buildings whole. This was a summit, which, as you know, means that I had one all-day meeting rather than 12-18 30min meetings - somehow, staying engaged for a single day is weirdly more tiring than switching contexts every thirty minutes. But I revived myself at lunch with some polenta (which I picked the asparagus out of, since I still hate it despite being an adult now), and I had some v. entertaining interactions throughout the afternoon (even though the subject matter was not entertaining), so that was all fun.

After the summit, many of us went for drinks at a tiki bar called Pagan Idol. The tiki bar had lots of fake smoke and real koi, which made for a weird atmosphere, but my drinks were tasty and the company was super fun. We welcomed some crashers who have left the team, which was super fun (even more fun because we couldn't really talk about work) - and I learned that the great-grandmother of one of my coworkers was a famous artist in France (during a time when her whole life was a study in luck, fate, and the ability to survive, since she was a Jewish woman who left Ukraine and ended up in France right before WWII). Of course, a lot of the conversation was waaaaay less high-brow than that, but it was all pretty fun.

A core group of us left the bar and had dinner at La Fusion, which I had been to a few months ago with Jenni. We had sangria and lots of meat, and I was feeling high on life...but I have a lot of work to do tomorrow, so I bid them all adieu after the restaurant and came back to the hotel. And now it's definitely time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: