Tuesday, April 03, 2018

wake me up before you leave

Today was pretty full of big ups and major downs. I wasn't feeling so hot yesterday, so I left work early and spent most of the afternoon napping, then some of the evening working (which is why I didn't blog). But today I was feeling better, so I went into the office, worked most of the morning, and took some time out to buy tickets for me and [censored] to see Counting Crows in September (yay!). I also took a break for lunch, then had a long 1:1 with my boss, which was entertaining and enlightening (and I got to say, yet again, that I have no intention of leaving to write full-time - they must think I'm a flight risk).

But then I had several hours free this afternoon, settled into to get some work done...and discovered that there was an active shooter at YouTube. This, of course, wrecked the rest of the afternoon. I pinged the people I knew there and it appears that everyone I know is safe, but it's still not totally clear. People at work were understandably upset; some people went home, while others of us dealt with it by eating our feelings, compulsively scrolling through twitter, etc. My team also went on a brief walk around the block, which kind of helped - but nothing can really help.

So I came home around six and was catatonic on the couch until eight, when I finally did some laundry, trimmed my bangs, ate some soup that I'd thawed out overnight, and spent the last hour doing some work that I'd meant to do this afternoon. And now I'm going to go to bed and dream of a better tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: