Saturday, April 28, 2018

careless whispers

I'm feeling asleep and typing this on my phone, so don't expect greatness. Today was very happy, all in all - I was jolted rudely awake by my alarm at 5:45 after sleeping through the night for the first time in a week (bizarre since I was having a lot of trouble in SF, yet slept here on the first try despite jetlag). So I dragged myself out of bed, got dressed, and had a v abbreviated breakfast downstairs before going to my mission for the day.

The mission was an all day tour of the champagne region - namely, the cathedral at Rheims (Reims), where almost all the French kings after Clovis were crowned. We then went to a small ish winery, which was awesome - lots of time discussing champagne processes. We then had lunch (I ate with an entertaining couple from LA who I ended up befriending), then I had a quick glass of rose in town, and then we went to Moët et Chandon. The tunnels were worth seeing - they have many kilometers of cellars for storing millions of bottles of wine, so that was awesome. The tasting was too corporate, but c'est la vie.

We got back to Paris around 6:30, I crashed for awhile, and then had an indifferent dinner (too bad in a city with such great food, but I was starving and desperate) and wrote in my journal and had some v interesting ideas about gargoyles. And now I'm going to sleep - it's supposed to rain tomorrow, but I still want to chase inspiration down with a club if I have to, so that requires getting up. Goodnight!

No comments: