Monday, April 23, 2018

what about all the times you said you had the answers

So, #protip, in case you haven't figured it out - my v. short posts are typically from my phone, when I'm tired and already in bed and don't want to prolong my wakefulness by pulling out one of my myriad laptops. You can also tell this because I very rarely manage to tag those posts - hitting the right tag on the phone screen is tough, and not worth the effort.

Tonight's post was almost one of those, but I decided to pull out the laptop and make an effort. There was only one laptop to choose from, since I'm in San Francisco and didn't bring allll my tech - I only brought my work laptop, my (old, almost replaced last night before I remembered that I didn't really need to spend the money) iPad, an external keyboard for the iPad (the reason I almost bought a new iPad was because I had grand dreams of writing on it in Paris, but I'm going to see if I write on the three-year-old one I have before I indulge), and two phones. This is *not nearly enough* tech, but I think I'll survive.

sssanyway. This morning was a mad dash - I woke up of my own volition around 6:30, anticipating the millions of things that I needed to do before leaving, and fueled only with five and a half hours of sleep and some mild thyroid stimulant (don't ask). So I scrambled until 11:30ish, at which point I was totally packed, had cleaned the fridge and emptied the trash, made my bed, and handled a bunch of random stuff. My packing job was first-rate, which is why it took awhile - I had to check a bag because I refuse to wander around Paris wearing grubby clothes and minimal makeup just in the interest of pretending to be a minimalist. But my bag only weighs 36lbs and it has room to spare, so if I buy something in Paris or Dublin, it might actually fit in my suitcase. I'm shocked too.

My afternoon was uneventful - I got to the airport in time to eat lunch, drink a glass of wine to preempt the turbulence, and talk to my parents. I spent the flight working, then got a lyft into SF, where I discovered that I'd accidentally booked the Kabuki during the Cherry Blossom Festival, which means Japantown was a zoo and the street in front of my hotel was shut down. Oops.

But I made it to my room, unpacked, and did a bit of work. Then I took a lyft out to the Pacific, where I had a leisurely evening with Veronica. She's in the midst of some bad luck (daughter got a crazy black eye from a softball, son broke his wrist, and she threw out her back), so we stayed local to avoid further injuries. We drank some sauvignon blanc, ate some chips and hummus, proceeded to eat even more takeout Indian food, and generally enjoyed each other's company for several hours. I have to say, I'm pretty happy in Colorado, but Veronica is one of the things I miss about my life here.

But by ten p.m. I was fading, so I took a lyft back to the hotel. And now it's imperative that I get some sleep, since tomorrow will be back to the usual craziness - goodnight!

No comments: