Tuesday, April 24, 2018

like a fish needs a bicycle

I'm blogging on my phone because I'm semi relaxed and know that I'll promptly get unrelaxed if I open my laptop. Today was all a little too much and I hit a wall - I may have finally come to the realization that I need to stop traveling for awhile. This is an unfortunate realization to have when I'm leaving for Paris on Thursday, but c'est la vie, as i like to say.

Ssssanyway. I was in town for a training that happened today, but I wasn't feeling it within the first five minutes, when I realized it was a training for senior managers and only four of the 35+ attendees were women. This is why I despise tech sometimes. So I participated all morning, but skipped a bit in the afternoon so that I could get some work done. I also worked after the training, had a call from 6:30-7:30, can't back to my hotel and had another call at 8....

... And by then I still had a million things to do, but I couldn't take it anymore. So I put my work phone away and went to An Japanese, which is right next to my hotel. I'd been there with the original Jen Lui once, so I had fond memories - but tonight was magical. I sat at the bar and talked to the sushi chef about life and his daughter and Field of Dreams, and he told me that his kids both have great jobs and so he cancelled his life insurance (parents - don't get any ideas). And the fish was perfect - the toro was like eating a perfect slice of the sea, the salmon tasted like it had been swimming only minutes before, and I had my beloved tamago (egg) to round it out. And I only pulled out my phone once to take a photo - the rest of the time I just enjoyed the moment and watched the sushi chefs practicing their craft.

And now I'm going to sleep and hope that my head is clearer tomorrow because I took a break tonight. Goodnight!

No comments: