Sunday, November 25, 2018

blister in the sun

I had a v. lovely, v. hermity day. I actually got out of bed a little after seven, which is shocking, and I spent the morning messing around with research stuff (starting to type up notes from THE SILK ROADS). Then I left the house for my only commitment of the day - I got a massage in an effort to keep my neck from seizing up, since I'm feeling somewhat relaxed but know I'll wreck it all again as soon as I go back to work.

On the way back from the massage, I stopped at Boxcar, but the environment wasn't conducive to reading (too many kids, not enough patience). So I grabbed some v. tasty goat cheese from the butcher/cheesemonger that shares space with the coffeeshop (yes, Boulder is v. ridiculous), came home, and made scrambled eggs with goat cheese. This was a delicious choice, even if it would have been nice to spend a bit more time in the sun this afternoon.

After that, I did a bit more stuff around the house, then called my parents - we had a v. abbreviated conversation since I was just there two days ago, but Sunday traditions must be maintained. Then I did some more laundry, remade my bed with fresh sheets, and finished unpacking from my trip. I also made dinner - a very tasty, very poorly planned shrimp stir fry. It was poorly planned because I didn't actually look at the ingredient lists for any stir fry sauces when I went grocery shopping yesterday and so didn't have oyster sauce (which seems to be in many stir fry recipes online) or ketchup (which is some bastardized American replacement). However, I found one with garlic, soy sauce, and honey, and so I threw that one together and was v. happy with the results.

Also, after thirty-seven years, I have finally actually made jasmine rice from scratch. Yes, this is a ridiculously long wait. In my defense, I grew up in corn and potato land, not rice land. I've also made many other rice dishes - spanish rice, many risottos, wild rice soup, etc. But plain cooked rice is not something I grew up with. It turned out great, though, and I made extra so I can make fried rice later this week - I'm looking for things I can make at home so quickly that it's easier than stopping somewhere on the way home, and stir fries may be the only thing that fits that bill.

sssanyway, after successfully making rice and feeling way more accomplished than I deserved to feel, I ate my tasty dinner, cleaned the kitchen, and then spent the rest of the evening reading a book about witchcraft (it was written in 1959 and I think the guy was both too close to his subject matter and ignorant of everything else, because at some point he loftily declared that the witch trials that killed ~200,000 people over the span of three centuries in Europe were the "foulest crime and deepest shame of western civilization"....and I'm like, dude, allow me introduce you to the Middle Passage.) And now, sadly, I need to sleep - it was great to take almost a week off from work, but it's back to the grind tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: