Wednesday, November 07, 2018

when populism, activism, urbanism fail, my cooler head....my cooler head will prevail

I slept for ten hours last night and awoke still feeling somewhat miserable, so I stayed home from work today. That didn't really mean I took a break - but I did cancel a bunch of meetings, so that was better than nothing. Of course, staying home meant I had to feed myself - luckily, I'd bought soup yesterday, which wasn't great but at least served to keep me alive.

I was going to stay home and keep resting tonight, but Katie called me as I was sitting on the couch debating my health. We talked for a bit, and I decided that it was more important to see her than it was to sleep - this may prove to be a mistake in the morning, but for today I have no regrets.

So, I drove down to Denver and got there around 6:30, and we abandoned her family and went to Lola's for margaritas (for both of us) and dinner (for me). This proved to be a good call, since it kept both of us mostly off twitter for a few hours - instead, we talked about real life issues, which are depressing enough in their own right. I'm just gonna say it - getting old is really not very fun sometimes.

But the margaritas were tasty and Katie's company went a long way toward restoring my spirits (even if I probably needed more vitamins and less tequila to help with my actual physical ailments). Eventually, after talking for another forty-five minutes in my car, I dropped her off, drove home, and spent a bit of time watching tv. But now I really need to sleep so that I can get up and perhaps attempt going to work tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: