Sunday, January 06, 2019

building steam with a grain of salt

Today was the real last day of vacation - last Tuesday was just a test run, since Wednesday and Thursday were minimally productive and I was hanging out with John and Jess Friday and Saturday. However, they left early this morning, so I had one final day to get some stuff done and settle back into some semblance of order before the chaos starts again.

I was far more productive than I usually am on Sundays - I got out of bed before 8:30 of my own volition, and spent the morning making lists of things I require in possible houses + researching printers + doing some bullet journaling. I had a noon meeting with my landlord, who is also a real estate agent - I'm considering buying a house, so I wanted to see if he would be a good fit for what I'm looking for. This is a tiny baby step toward the ultimate goal, but we had a good conversation. I still need to do some more thinking about what I want - the biggest question is whether I want a single family home in line with my subconscious Iowa desires, or if I want a duplex/townhouse with more modern features and minimal maintenance in line with my conscious time availability / maintenance abilities. I really don't want to share walls with anyone, but I also can't get a house on 80 acres in the area that I want to be in, so it's not like my inner Iowan will be satisfied anywhere here. And the places where I could get 80 acres would result in a long commute, and my inner Californian would be sad.

sssanyway, I probably won't solve that problem until I start looking at some properties and really understanding what the market looks like for each type of dwelling in my price range. After our meeting, I came home, did a bit of nothing, and then ran some errands, including grabbing a late lunch and buying a new printer. The printer became necessary a few months ago when I discovered that they no longer make drivers for my old printer that match any of my current operating systems, but I'd put it off until now. But I got a great black-and-white laser printer with wifi printing capability for $89.99 on sale at Staples, which happens to be one of the top-recommended printers on a bunch of consumer websites, so I'm pretty thrilled. Yes, I'm super dorky for being super thrilled about a printer, but you should know this by now.

Then I came home, called my parents, and then spent the evening setting up my printer and using it to print some inserts for my journal. And now I'm going to read a bit and go to bed, thus hopefully getting my week off on the right foot. Goodnight!

No comments: