Sunday, January 13, 2019

no one’s gonna save you from the beast about to strike

I had a glorious day in the city of sin - but it's always glorious when I can just walk everywhere and not drive, as opposed to my horrendous commutes from days of yore. I woke up in time to keep my facetime date with Barbara, which I think shocked her - she assumed when I made the plan to call her at 9am my time on a Sunday that it wouldn't happen, and in many cases she would be correct, but I hadn't talked to her in forever and she's taking a trip to India in the next few days, so I wanted to catch up with her before she left. This was a delightful way to start the morning, and set my mood up perfectly for the rest of the day.

After that, I showered, then went to Olea for brunch with Tom, Julie, and Deano (aka the drunk freshmen, although Deano's real name is Brian and he wasn't one of my freshmen, and also they all have quite successful / high profile jobs now, but I can't stop myself). It was super fun to see them, so I'm glad we were able to get together. Then I came back to my hotel and talked to my parents, and then I did a bit of journaling until it was time to pursue my next slew of engagements.

I got a manicure this afternoon at my old nail salon - they were super surprised to see me, since I used to go in religiously and then suddenly disappeared for a year and a half. But it was nice to see that most of the usual suspects were there, and they do such a better job on my nails than any other place I've ever gone. I was feeling nostalgic, so I got the same color that I had when I went to Bora Bora (pacific sunset) - and yes, it's ridiculous that I remember that, but I remember the names of colors that I like.

sssanyway. After that, I wrote for a bit at Peet's, and then had dinner and a drink with Claudia and Sam. We went to Wayo Sushi, which usually is quite slow, but we were the first people in and so were the first people to get sushi, well before the sole proprietor started backing up on speed. Then we had a drink at Lush, where I was hit on by a fifty-year-old former heavyweight boxing champ who told me to look him up online, which immediately led me to the discovery that his boxing career was cut short when he served thirteen years for illegal drug possession....so in other words, I still got it.

sssanyway again. I'm now safely ensconced in my hotel, and it's time for bed so that I can go back to the grind tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: