Friday, January 04, 2019

deck the halls with cherry yo-yos

I'm a bit too tired to blog, so this will be brief - but I took the day off (after only two days in the office) to hang out with John and Jess and Ian. We started with breakfast at Lucile's, which I've wanted to try - I've heard that the line on weekends is absurd, so I've never gone, but now I know why it's absurd. I ate all sorts of stuff I shouldn't have eaten - it was Cajun-style food, so I had a beignet, and I had eggs on top of fried eggplant with some v. amazing breakfast potatoes.

This made me super full (we were all full), but we rallied and drove up to Nederland. We rode the carousel up there, which was pretty entertaining/impressive (it costs a dollar and has an old Wurlitzer organ from the early 1900s). Ian ran around in a park even though it was unpleasantly cold - so unpleasantly cold that I went to an alpaca store after and bought a hat. Then we drove back to Boulder, and I came home, took a nap, ate some peanut butter, and wrote for an hour (yay).

We rendezvoused again around 5:30 and walked over to Dushanbe Teahouse, which I'd been to once before - it's a teahouse constructed from imported materials from Tajikistan, and it was perfect for an early dinner since half the other customers were screaming children (Ian was not screaming). My spicy rice noodles were excellent, and I had a decent mule-type drink with peppermint tea in it.

Then we wandered around Pearl Street for a couple of hours in an attempt to wear Ian out, and then went back to the hotel and had a drink while catching the tail end of a live jazz set in the lobby - they were really excellent, and Ian befriended them to the point that the drummer gave him an old pair of sticks after. But now, after spend the last hour engaged in mindlessness on my phone, I should really sleep - goodnight!

No comments: