Saturday, August 31, 2019

hard liquor mixed with a bit of intellect

And just like that, my time down under is over.

I had a bit of a weird (and weirdly fabulous) time in Auckland - my Sydney event drained my energy down to the dregs, after weeks of running on near-empty (I just reread my blog to remind myself of my life, as I sometimes do, and remembered that the last five weeks contained going to Iowa to move my grandma; San Francisco for Subz’s birthday; [censored]’s visit to Denver, where we saw Billy Joel and did house repairs; a fun weekend full of #girlsnightout with Katie and other friends; a trip to Devil’s Thumb Ranch; and then a flight to Sydney). It’s no wonder I arrived in Auckland completely exhausted.

Luckily, Nalini is also a writer and so did not seem at all offended that my main desires were talking about books, drinking tea, eating, and sleeping. After I blogged last night, we hung out in her hot tub, which was a v. relaxing way to end the night. Then I got ten hours of sleep, which almost made me feel human by the time I woke up this morning. We had tea and breakfast after I woke up, and then I packed all my stuff and took a shower so that we could go out on the town.

We had a v laidback morning - Nalini, her sister Ashwini, and I went to the Domain, which is the main park in Auckland. They have a winter garden there, which is inside a Victorian-style hothouse - it was really gorgeous, and I discovered that they can grow snapdragons that are taller than I am (I want to learn this feat). Then we went over to the eastern side of the island and walked around for a bit near the water. Auckland reminds me a bit of Denver in terms of its pace, but the one thing Denver is lacking is water - so a few minutes by the ocean made me happy.

Then we went to the Mt Eden area, which apparently is full of hipsters, to have lunch - we went to Garden Shed, which feels like a garden shed since there is a lovely open patio in the back with enough glass/plastic covering it to keep it warm despite the fact that it’s winter here. They had yet another gluten-friendly menu, so we all had something tasty to eat. Then we walked around and stopped in at a romance bookshop - Nalini is famous here (and everywhere), so we chatted up the bookstore owner and I bought a book for the flight back.

After that, we picked up my bags from the house, and then Nalini and Ashwini dropped me off at the airport. I got here with plenty of time to spare, so I treated myself to a pair of sunglasses, then found the Air New Zealand lounge, where I’ve been journaling and drinking wine. We’re about to board, and I’m eager to be home - after a month of nonstop madness, I’m looking forward to a bit less madness (but, unfortunately, a bit more work).

See you on the other side, America!

No comments: