Thursday, August 15, 2019

your left hand's free

I had a day. Work felt v. onerous because I worked straight through, and I also spoke on a panel about 'grit' and what it means in the workplace. I may have confused some people (but delighted others) when I said that I'm from Iowa and so my first thought about 'grit' is that it's something you buy in a bag and feed to chickens so that they can digest their grain (see grit). But then I turned it into a metaphor about how grit is internal, and that internal component is what allows you to get through life without giving up. So I think it worked? The panel went well, at least, even if it took my lunch hour, which I usually block off for getting stuff done.

But I took the vanpool today, so I didn't have to drive, and I was also forced to leave early (how tragic). When I got to Denver, I met up with Katie and we had an extensive night out - we started with dinner at Ash'kara, which is an Israeli place that deserves every single bit of hype that it gets. The food was all incredible, and the vibe was fun, and it was overall so great. Of course, the drinks were good too, and we were high on life when we ended - so we decided to go across the street to Old Major for a nightcap. Katie's husband and girls are out of town, so we had no pressing reason to part - which meant we could go deep on career and family and life in a way that made my soul happy (even if I want to taser those who have wronged us).

And now I really need to sleep, since I have meetings alllll day tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: