Sunday, August 11, 2019

rescue me

I should have gone to bed two hours ago to recover from all the fun of this weekend - but I have never actually been a morning person, despite my best attempts to force myself into it. You wouldn't know it by observing me today, though - I looked like one of those real adults, the ones with the lawn equipment and the organized basements and the stockpiles of lightbulbs. This was accomplished partially by my fourth trip to Home Depot in three days, where I bought a weed eater and a hedge trimmer. At this point even [censored] didn't want to go back to Home Depot again, so I accomplished this errand by myself.

But after that was completed, [censored] had no choice but to hang out. We spent part of the afternoon putting together the shelves that I bought for my basement - they look awesome and feel like overkill, since they are rated to hold 6000lbs and I'm currently using them for empty boxes. But I intend to move files, books, dry goods, etc. down there over the next few weeks, and these will be perfect for that. We (and I mostly mean [censored]) also rehung the door to my laundry room, and then [censored] graciously gave me a demonstration in weed eating and hedge trimming with the massive patch of weeds that sprung up in the alleyway around my garage in the last few weeks when I wasn't looking.

So, my house is coming together. There is still a lot I want to do, and I have a major quandary in terms of deciding whether the front room should be a dining room (the current configuration), or a living room / tv room (the configuration the previous owners used). That kind of needs to be resolved before I make any more furniture purchases. But all in all I'm happy with the space, and I'm looking forward to decorating now that some of the biggest pieces of move-in work are out of the way.

Sadly, [censored] bailed on me after the weed extravaganza - he has to work Tuesday, so it was time to start heading back to ye olde Iowa. Before he left, we had an early dinner at FNG - they have some smothered tater tots that are reminiscent of poutine, which [censored] and I split to much happiness. Then I had a burger and [censored] had mac and cheese, and there was much rejoicing.

But all good things end, and so [censored] headed east. It's unclear whether [censored] counts this weekend as a good thing, or whether it should be considered forced labor instead - but I'm going to pretend [censored] was on board with a manual labor vacation. I'm also going to pretend that [censored] didn't say that my possible future death is now of grave concern...not because [censored] would miss me, but because this weekend made it clear how much stuff an estate executor will have to deal with. #hoardingDNA

sssanyway, [censored] left, and then I spent an hour and a half on the phone with the parents while enjoying the evening on my patio. And then I spent the last few hours taking care of things that were piling up (and ordering more storage solutions, because #hoarding). And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: