Friday, August 09, 2019

there are giants out there in the canyons

I had an awesome day despite not getting enough sleep to kick it off. I rolled out of bed perilously close to 7:40am, which only gave me twenty minutes to shower and put on some foundation (and some clothes, I guess) before an 8am meeting. And then I slogged pretty much straight until 1:30, at which point I shut my laptop and greeted [censored].

[censored] is visiting me for the weekend - we had grand plans tonight, and then I intend to con him into doing house stuff. We started off with a tour of my house, and then we grabbed a late lunch at The Universal, which I usually don't go to because it's often packed. It happens to not be packed fifteen minutes before closing, and so I had my usual pork green chili with grits, and [censored] had a delish-looking breakfast with sausage and eggs and a biscuit with gravy.

This, it turns out, was perhaps too much food for the time of day, since we had dinner reservations approximately 2.5hrs later. But we came home first, and I took a v. quick nap to restore myself before getting ready. Around five we took an uber downtown - I'd made a 5:15 reservation at a pizza place near Coors Field since I knew it would be a pre-concert shitshow around there, and I'm glad I made the reservation since they were definitely turning people away. We went to Marco's Coal-Fired, which turned out v. tasty - surprisingly, the lemony chicken wings that we shared as a starter were the best thing I've had for at least a couple of days (but I can't say for a week, since everything is still in competition with Lazy Bear).

After that, we walked to the stadium and hung out on the rooftop a bit before finding our seats. The weather was looking *super* ominous, and it rained a little bit while we were under cover on the rooftop - but it turned out that this was all perfect, since we didn't really get wet and it was way cooler than it has been. So we found our seats (on the field, about thirty rows back, but off to the side) and settled in.

The concert was Billy Joel, and I am super glad that we got the chance to see him live. He's incredibly talented with a very deep catalog, and he played a whole bunch of our favorites (and some songs we didn't expect to hear). There was an unexpected graphic of 'children of thalidomide' during 'We Didn't Start the Fire' that I probably could have lived without, but otherwise it was pretty much perfect. If I could be that creating and productive (and rich) at seventy, I'd feel pretty good.

Then we caught an uber home, after a bit of an ordeal (but not as bad an ordeal as I was expecting). And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: