Friday, January 24, 2020

we sang dirges in the dark

I would like to say that I'm in vacation mode, but I'm not yet - there are still several tings that I need to do to leave the office in good shape for next week, so I may take my work laptop with me so that I can accomplish those tings on the plane. I was planning to leave my laptop at home, but I would rather get some sleep tonight instead of trying to get everything done right now, so the laptop may be unavoidable.

But I told everyone at work that I'm going to be offline and not to bother me and that I won't even be checking my work phone, so hopefully I can do a couple of things in the morning (and one minor thing on like Thursday) and ignore the office the rest of the time. I shouldn't need a break, since we're like three weeks into the new year, but I'm pretty happy that I'm going to miss a week of work and focus on writing instead. I'm especially happy that the weather in Oceanside looks lovely - I could use some sun and warmth (sorry other people trapped in the midwest, for whom sun and warmth is a distant memory).

sssanyway. I went into the office today even though it probably would have been more efficient from a time perspective to work from home - but I knew that my mood still wasn't great, and it was better to see people in person rather than hermiting out. I was still a wee bit more direct with just about everyone than I probably should have been, but c'est la vie.

But I got the most pressing things done, left the office at five, came home, ate some delish leftover carnitas (seriously a perfect thing to batch cook, since reheating it in a skillet takes five minutes and adds just the right amount of crispy bits to the meat), and spent the evening packing, taking care of tings around the house, and generally getting ready to go to California. And now that I've accomplished all of that, I really need to go to bed - my flight is at ten, which means I can't dilly dally in the morning. Goodnight!

No comments: