Friday, January 31, 2020

working on the night moves

I had a delightful day in Carlsbad (which I continue to call Oceanside because that's where I'm supposed to be on retreat). I slept so much better last night because I had a real bed instead of a crib nest that I'd made out of the top bunk bed, and the sound of the ocean rolling endlessly outside my window is truly gorgeous.

So I awoke this morning in a pretty great mood, but I ruined it a bit by doing an hour of day job stuff (I knew I was going to have to do this one thing, but I really didn't want to). I also made myself a perfect breakfast sandwich with a folded egg and some cheddar. At some point Christie and I took a break to walk to the liquor store for wine, which was a fun errand. And I spent the afternoon mostly outside, writing in the gazebo overlooking the water - I got a few pages, which is better than no pages.

By five-ish the sun was going down, so several of us sat overlooking the water with drinks in hand. Then, Grace, V, Anne and I left to go shopping slightly before dinner - I didn't buy anything, but it's always fun to window shop. The whole group ended up going for dinner at Las Olas, which is only a couple of blocks from our house - Mexican food always makes me happy, and margaritas make me even happier (until they don't, but I refrained from going too deep tonight).

We all hung out until around ten, and it was one of those lovely evenings of meandering, shifting conversations with ever-fluctuating members of the group. Twelve people is almost too many for a retreat, but it's nice to have so many people to have so many great conversations with. But even though they're all great, I was ready for a break tonight - and so I retreated to my room around ten. Anne knocked on my door a few minutes later to find out where I'd put her tshirt (which she had handed me to bring downstairs)...and I realized, much to my embarrassment/hilarity, that I hadn't been paying attention when she gave it to me and I'd put it in the fridge with my leftover. Lol.

And then I spent the last couple of hours reading, and now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: