Monday, January 27, 2020

you been on my mind girl since the flood

I've had a great weekend in Los Angeles, and I anticipate having an equally wonderful week in Oceanside. The weekend was super chill - I got to the airport yesterday morning with enough time to have a tasty breakfast skillet and a mimosa, and then I worked on day job stuff on the plane ride + for another hour in the airport upon landing. That wasn't really what I wanted to do and I had hoped to leave my work laptop at home, but I will feel better knowing I left things in good shape.

Then I grabbed a rental car and drove into LA to check into my airbnb before rendezvousing with Irish Matt. We've been friends for many, many years - this April will be the fifteenth anniversary of when we lived in India together, which feels like a lifetime ago and also feels like it couldn't possibly be fifteen years ago. Irish Matt now has six-month-old twins, which also seems impossible - so our weekend was chill by necessity and design. We grabbed a quick drink together late yesterday afternoon, but then we went home and put the babies to bed while Matt's husband went to a party. So we stayed home and ordered takeout and drank too much wine, and then talked about politics and feminism and homophobia and babies and the tech industry and all sorts of other fascinating topics.

So, last night was #worthit, but I woke up this morning feeling a bit like death after having too much wine followed by not enough sleep in an unfamiliar bed. Also, annoying, the hot water heater in the airbnb was off, so I couldn't shower, which made me super surly. But I did leave the house, grab coffee at Caffe Vita, and write for half an hour, so that made me feel better. And then I spent the rest of the day with Matt and the babies - we went and looked at a house that Matt and Michael are considering buying (but probably won't), then had lunch at Messhall (I just had oysters, since I'd had breakfast at Del Taco and was still super full). The babies started to get fussy at the end, so we went home, and then I took a break to come back to my airbnb and talk to my parents (who were fine, with the exception of a slight fever and a v. v. gruesome story of blood and pain).

I went back over for dinner, though - I hung out with the babies a bit more, and then they went to bed. Matt ordered takeout Italian (my mushroom risotto was perfect), and I made margaritas using my favorite mix (which I found at the liquor store down the street), and we watched a couple of episodes of Gwyneth Paltrow's GOOP show on Netflix, which may be considered research for the project I'm working on now. Then Irish Matt and I said our goodbyes, since I'm headed to Oceanside tomorrow. And now, even though it's only 11pm, I'm going to go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: