Tuesday, January 18, 2022

i have five clocks in my life and only one has the time right

Well, it's official - the 'rona finally got me. I don't know where or how, and I never will, but sometime last week it slipped through my defenses. I started feeling sick on Saturday night and my test then was negative, but my most recent test was positive. So far it doesn't approach the lofty heights (or, more accurately, deepest trenches) of my worst colds, but it doesn't feel like a picnic either. It doesn't help that Colorado is super dry, so my throat turns to fire if I'm not regularly drinking something - which is what happens when I sleep, so I woke up this morning feeling like death.

Luckily, approximately forty ounces of water helped, as did a whole liter of hot tea over the course of the morning. I also found some Sudafed (the real behind-the-counter stuff) in my bathroom, where Past Sara had stockpiled it during the early days of the apocalypse; luckily it doesn't expire for a few months, and it saved me.

So, I took today off and mostly sat around the house doing nothing. I did order some chicken pho, which was exactly what I needed - I'm glad I gave pho another try after not really liking it when first exposed to it twenty years ago, because it turns out that pho is basically gluten free chicken noodle soup (with rice noodles instead of wheat noodles), and that was what my body wanted. I also took two naps. And I talked to my parents to update them on my status, which was a real sacrifice in between naps (but my voice held up just fine). I also took a shower, which revived me somewhat.

I spent the evening glomming another Ilona Andrews book - this time the first book in her Innkeeper series (CLEAN SWEEP), about a magical inn in some small town in Texas. I'm trying to triangulate on the kind of world I want to build for the project I'm writing, and this put marker in the field of my imagination. I'm taking tomorrow off too, and I fully intend to glom something else, but we'll see what I find.

And now, I need to sleep - sleep, tea, and books are about all I can handle right now, but I think that's exactly what I need. Goodnight!

No comments: