Saturday, January 29, 2022

you can't start a fire worrying about your little world falling apart

Today was another step closer to normal - I'm just the slightest bit congested, and I'm still more tired after doing things than I think I should be, but I'm on the mend. It helped that I was done with meetings by 12:30 today - I still had work to do, but I also ate lunch and took a nap, and that helped. And I was even able to shovel a path from my back door to my garage this morning so that it would melt off and not turn into a massive ice problem, so that was more effort than I've expended on anything other than showering in the last two weeks.

I cut off a little earlier than usual and got a mani/pedi - my nails were dire, and I was deeply in need of getting out of my house. I also got a few groceries, since my fridge is completely empty and I've been living on takeout. Then I came home and talked to Katie for a bit to muster a plan for the weekend. I then, v. ill-advisedly, spent two hours making fish chowder - I hadn't cooked anything more elaborate than heating up some frozen enchiladas or making toast or fried eggs in the last two weeks, but the moment I felt like cooking, I wanted to *cook*. It ended up tasting fantastic and was exactly what I wanted, but it took more chopping / stirring / standing energy than I probably should have put into it. And you know I'm still not quite in it to win it, since I used my coravin to extract half a cup of white wine from a sealed bottle to put in the chowder, rather than opening the bottle and drinking a glass of it to go along with the cooking.

But I was delighted by the chowder and happy to be cooking again, so #noregrets. Then I spent the evening reading CIRCE by Madeline Miller - it's been on all sorts of bestseller / recommended lists for years and sitting on my Kobo for awhile, but I picked it up tonight on a whim. I'm probably two-thirds of the way through and so far I'm really enjoying it - I probably could have kept going until I finished it, but I know that staying up until three is not what I should actually do tonight.

So, on that note, I'm going to go to bed and hope I can use this weekend to sleep off the rest of my ailments. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Circe is so good!