Friday, February 04, 2022

death spiral

I had a pretty great day, although I was quite tired at the beginning - for some reason I didn't sleep all that well last night, and it had me dragging. But I got some good work done, and I had a final poke bowl for lunch before my next sojourn in ye olde Iowa.

Eventually, I was done, so I did a bit of housework and prepping to load my car, and then I welcomed Katie for a late afternoon happy hour. We lounged and had aperol spritzes and cheese and jam, and it was pretty great.

And then, the evening stayed great but took a different turn - I'd invited her whole family over to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, and so while Katie came early so we could catch up a bit, James and the girls showed up in time for dinner. We ordered pizza and I gave them "baby champagne" (aka sparkling apple grape juice, which hypes them up like nothing else), and then we watched the opening. Overall, it was pretty gorgeous and well done considering the covid restrictions, although it's weird to see a basically empty stadium. And of course it's a prime opportunity for propaganda, which is always interesting to watch.

James and Julia left early, but Katie and Anne stayed until the end. It was v. different than old Olympics parties from days of yore, and I didn't bake any cakes at all, but at least it felt festive and entertaining. And Katie, as always, is great.

Eventually they left, and I did some more house prep while watching some taped skating stuff until I suddenly was too tired to continue. And now I need to go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: