Monday, February 21, 2022

i'm gonna pop some tags

Today was full of bad global news that I almost entirely ignored - instead, I went super deep on house projects, which means I'm exhausted but also didn't have a lot of time to indulge in the long weekend make-up Sunday Scaries. I got up, made coffee and eggs, and ran to the next town over again to reconsider some cabinet choices + look at appliances. The appliance conversation was informative  - but perhaps more informative for the initial person I talked to at the appliance place, who had never heard of induction cooktops before. However, the owner came in, whom I had talked to before when I bought my dishwasher, and he was all over the induction question. I would normally prefer gas, but gas would require moving a gas line + having a gas stove without a hood since there is no hood in the current setup, and I just don't know that those things are worth doing (although, I guess, I may move a gas line anyway for a grill someday, but that's a different issue).

So, I got some numbers and some printouts of some options, and we parted ways with me promising to get back to him on what I decide. I asked if he needed a deposit or something to order things and he said that normally he would, but I'm on 'another level' and so he'd order it for me before I get back to make a deposit. There are disadvantages to living in small towns and not being able to get lots of tings / order takeout / etc., but there are also advantages in terms of just doing things on some sort of honor system.

While I was there, I looked briefly at washers and dryers, but I didn't pull the trigger because I won't be here to get a delivery and also thought it was a little indulgent to buy them right now even though the current washer is ancient and the dryer isn't perfect. Hilariously, while I was driving home, [censored] called to tell me that the dryer sounded like an airplane engine, which explains why my last load of laundry took absolutely forever to dry. So, that was a bummer. Luckily, [censored] is the kind of [censored] who has spare dryers lying around, so [censored] hauled a dryer into my basement, hooked it up, and was surprised / delighted to find that it works. A new washer/dryer is still on my list (especially since the washer seems to have something disintegrating within it), but at least we have a dryer.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon painting the ceiling in [censored]'s bedroom. It turned out well, all in all - the blue wall color that we painted yesterday is not very forgiving of mistakes (any remaining white between the paint and trim is very noticeable), so there are some places where we need to touch up, but it looks great otherwise. And I supposed I should say that [censored] was actually the one who sprayed the ceiling, but I was the one who taped most of the room and set up / cleaned up the sprayer, so I did my part.

Then I spent a lot of time cleaning up and moving tings around. I also talked to Alyssa at some point and she had me do some squats and presses, which felt good but probably wasn't necessary on top of all my other manual labor. I'm getting new carpet put in the rest of this week, so I had to get a lot done tonight - but I think we're ready.

And now I desperately need to go to bed since I need to get up early tomorrow for the carpet - goodnight!

No comments: