Sunday, April 24, 2022

day off in kyoto

I'm safely ensconced in ye olde Iowa, where I arrived yesterday after battling extreme wind the entire way. Yesterday wasn't as bad as Friday night, but it still wasn't the most pleasant drive, and I was v. glad to be done with it (and to be rewarded with bratwurst when I got to my parents' house).

Today, I mostly just settled in - which involved unpacking while also contemplating the million and one things I want to do to this house. [Censored] was here this weekend, and so we also did some cleanup of various tings in the garage and picked up most of the sticks in my yard (nowhere near the thousands of sticks [censored] and my mom picked up at my parents' place after the tornado, but still enough to be a chore). I also went to the grocery store so that I can feed myself this week, which is a noble goal.

Eventually, I went to my parents' house, where I hung out for awhile and eventually made them dinner. I made my favorite spaghetti all'amatriciana (bacon, red onion, red pepper flakes, tomato sauce) and I was really happy with how it turned out. I left out the usual garlic bc my dad is having taste bud issues and I thought garlic might not help; I also cut the spice level in half, which was still tasty. Unfortunately my dad couldn't stand the bacon (his taste buds are on a trip to somewhere horrible, apparently), but he ate around it, which I'll take as a moderate success. And my mom claimed to like it, but she would like anything that she didn't have to cook. Still, 💯 would make again, as they say on the socials.

After supper, I came back to my place and spent the last couple of hours unpacking and organizing so that I can work tomorrow without having to search for things. And now I need to sleep - goodnight! 

No comments: