Saturday, April 09, 2022

if you live like that, you live with ghosts

I worked from home today, which saved my life - it has become deeply important to me that I can do a bit of work and drink a lot of coffee and stay in my pajamas until 30min before my first meeting, and this is obviously not possible when my commute is 45min and a shower/some makeup/actual pants are required on office days. Work was fine, all in all, but I was not particularly productive - by afternoon, the effects of the week were hitting me, and I mostly wanted to rest my eyes. So I got a bit more done, but I also talked to Katie (we have not caught up in ages as she's been super sick) and also to James (her husband, whom I also have not caught up with in ages).

Eventually, when it was marginally respectable to end the day, I ran a few errands, picked up some groceries, and got food to make tonight. I was going to make risotto and cook some scallops to go along with it, but the scallops at the fish market were $66/lb, which was exorbitant enough to make me think twice. So instead, I went across to my favorite little cheese shop and got some chorizo sausages so that I could try a Barefoot Contessa recipe instead. The recipe was for 'baked raclette', and it involved boiling and slicing fingerling potatoes, sauteeing the chorizo sausages, mixing the potatoes/sausages with some salt/pepper/thyme/white wine, and splitting the stuff across four individual baking dishes. Then, you cover the potato/sausage mix with slices of raclette cheese and bake for ten minutes so the cheese gets all melty and bubbly. All in all, it was excellent - it obviously wasn't what I had planned to have, but for a pivot it was v. welcome.

Then I spent the evening mostly procrastinating / half napping, and I should have gone to bed hours ago but it's suddenly after midnight. Goodnight!

No comments: