Friday, April 22, 2022

I'm fallin' so I'm taking my time on my ride

I wanted to go to bed two hours ago, but I also wanted to finish packing so that I can leave for work in the morning and then head straight towards Iowa from the office. I was pretty successful - I have to load my car, but it seems doable.

Today was great overall, though - I spent a lot of it socializing, since I had a group lunch with my new boss (and, amusingly, one of my many old bosses) and a v. long happy hour after work. And, burying the lede....I told my team today that I'm taking two months off starting at the end of next week. I've been beyond burned out for a long time, and it's really clear that I'm generally struggling to concentrate or motivate myself or handle stress with my usual sang froid. And even though my situation at work is finally (after three years of complete chaos and seven managers) getting better, I need a break if I'm going to do seize anything positive with those changes.

So, I got my leave all confirmed, told my team, and promptly went to a work happy hour. It was eighty degrees today and we hung out on the roof at Rosetta Hall - it opened just before the pandemic and I hadn't been, but it was a delight. I lounged on a deep couch and talked to many people and generally got in the "I'm going on leave" mood even though I still have a week left. It was a nice way to end the day, even if I didn't get home until almost nine.

And now, I really need to sleep so I can get my car loaded before work tomorrow- goodnight!

No comments: