Tuesday, September 20, 2022

it took forever and a day to miss the mark

If I get as much sleep tonight as I got last night, I might be on my way toward recovering from last week's trip + yesterday's binge of the Queen's funeral. Today was pretty good, all in all - I made some tea, took a shower, ate some yogurt, and read some more of my (long) book on the Scythians while sitting on my balcony. Today was nearly 100 degrees, but my balcony is shaded throughout the day, so it was still pleasant in the morning. And the Scythians remain interesting - I can't tell you why I feel the need to read it when the book I'm writing is set in rural Iowa, but I feel some sense that there is a connection. Or, if nothing else, it makes me want to go back to Ukraine when the war is over and see the Scythian treasures that are apparently in a museum in Kiev - it's rather astonishing how much gold (very finely crafted gold with elaborate images of animals, warriors, etc) ended up in burial mounds stretching from Ukraine to Siberia, and I would like to see it in person. We shall see, we shall see.

sssanyway, at some point I had lunch, and then I went to check out flooring for my kitchen remodel. This was a fairly successful endeavor, since I got penciled in for an installation date in early December, and I got to bring home several samples (I was told I could keep them for a week, likely because the proprietor told me early on that everyone around here wants barn board styles and I was clearly drawn to not-barn-board samples). I also got some gossip of dubious provenance, which is my favorite. So, all in all, it was #worthit, and hopefully I can finalize the last major decisions for the kitchen this week.

Then I grabbed some groceries, came home, did some house stuff, and made a batch of pickled onions to go with my supper. Supper was a new-to-me recipe for chicken tacos - I made it in the instant pot, and it was super easy and extremely tasty. It would have taken five minutes to throw together if I hadn't staged the prep photos in case I instagram it, and then it took ~10min to come up to pressure, ~20min to cook/release pressure, and another ten or so minutes to shred the chicken and add some black beans to it. The chicken tacos almost tasted barbecued, since the sauce was a mix of chipotle peppers and honey, but I really liked it - so it will likely be a go-to recipe when I'm cooking in my instant pot in the garage throughout November.

And then, I wrapped up the night with some laundry, some procrastination and more reading about the Scythians. And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: