Monday, February 13, 2023

and all that's left is a version of events favorably framed for the sake of self-defense

I was having a case of the Mondays, but it was hard to stay in that mood when the weather was strangely gorgeous. It will go back to being miserable tomorrow, but today was almost sixty degrees and sunny. I took advantage of it by taking a long walk around town while listening to a couple of podcasts. Because it's mud season, and because the town has let most of the paved roads lapse into gravel, and because there are no longer sidewalks on most blocks, I mostly walked down the streets to avoid the mud on the edges. Luckily, I met very few cars, and only one dog that had decided to claim an entire block as its territory, so it was all good.

Other than my walk, the rest of my day was good too - I did some planning this morning while drinking coffee, and then I ran into town to meet with someone about this volunteer thing that I'm getting involved in. Then I came home, made an omelette, and talked to Caroline. Then, I procrastinated for awhile, took a nap, ate some lunch, and took a walk. I also did some journaling and laundry somewhere in there -- all v. exciting stuff.

Eventually, I went out to my parents' for dinner - since the weather was nice, my dad felt like grilling, and he made v. tasty barbecued chicken. He also bought me flowers for Valentine's Day, which was super sweet. And my mom made baked potatoes, which are almost as good as flowers in my book. So we chatted for awhile, and then I gave my dad a ride into town to pick up a car, and then I came home and folded laundry.

And, for the record, I forced myself to write for an hour tonight since I wasn't able to this morning - it felt like garbage, but I think I got some ideas for where this scene is headed, so I'll take it. And now, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: