Thursday, February 09, 2023

the past was only practice

I had a pretty good day - not enough writing, but I thought a lot about the story, so I feel good about that. I got up in time for a 9am call with someone in London, which almost felt like being back at work - probably because she's a former coworker and we caught up on gossip, and also because I never take 9am video calls anymore. Despite the time, it was good to talk to her, and it also reinforced that I made the absolute right decision to leave when I did.

After that, I refilled my coffee and then talked to John for a bit - we hadn't caught up since I was in SF in September, and I mostly wanted to brainstorm with him about some plot points for my book that relate to artificial intelligence. I took a couple of classes on it in college and it was a possible focus area in my major, but John went on to get a PhD and become a professor and found a company using AI, so he's a little more knowledgeable about current trends than I am. The conversation gave me a couple of killer ideas for possible plot points, so I left feeling buzzy and excited about where to take the book.

Then, I took care of some tings, ate some leftover pasta, talked to [censored], etc. This turned into wanting to take a nap, which I did, since I went to bed too late last night (and am headed in that direction again tonight). And then I did laundry, took care of some necessary tasks, reread my manuscript and thought a bit, and then talked to my friend Sara. I unfortunately had to cut off slightly early to go to dinner, but I was v. happy to accept an invitation to my parents' house to eat, since I didn't have anything ready to cook.

So, [censored] and I went out there and ate, and stayed for awhile after. Then we came home, and I thought about writing, but instead scrolled the internet (but also reread some notes and made some fresh notes about where the plot is going). And now, I should probably sleep - goodnight!

No comments: