Saturday, February 04, 2023

in the desert you can remember your name

Merry Christmas! Or, at least, that's what has been going on here the last couple of days. Aunt Becky and Uncle Brian got here on Thursday afternoon, and then Aunt Kathy and Drewbaby came down yesterday. Last night, we had a veritable feast - I made ham balls and twice baked potatoes, and my mom made layered lettuce and baked beans and deviled eggs. It was all super delicious, which is a good thing since we had enough leftovers to eat again tonight.

After dinner last night, several of us adjourned to my house, and Drewbaby and I talked until midnight. That meant that this morning's alarm came all too soon, but I got up and made blueberry cream cheese cupcakes (which should have been a Bundt cake, but I couldn't find my pan). We had brunch at my parents' house, with breakfast casserole from my mom and fruit from Aunt Kathy.

Then, I was wrecked, so I came home to get some stuff and snuck in a nap for good measure. I got back to the festivities for most of the second half of the Iowa State/Kansas basketball game, which we won, to all our mutual delight. Then, we exchanged white elephant gifts, which have gotten better over the years (although it was surprising that Kathy stole her gift back right at the end).

Then, the aunts and Drewbaby and I learned how to play Raccoon Tycoon, which John and Jess gave me for my birthday a year or two ago. It was pretty fun, although I came in last both times, which was uncharacteristic. Then we ate leftovers and eventually started the migration back to my house.

And now I desperately need to sleep so that I can attempt to get some stuff done after everyone leaves tomorrow - goodnight!



No comments: