Monday, May 01, 2023

hold back the river

I'm sleepy tonight, but I'm also looking forward to taking my first dose of Claritin in a week. I spent the morning doing a variety of minor but necessary tasks, and then I had a v. boring lunch (a turkey sandwich, albeit with pepperjack cheese) since I hadn't cooked anything ahead of time. And then I had an appointment with an allergist - I'm pretty happy that an allergist comes to the local hospital once a month, and that I was able to get in today so that I can figure out what's going on with my allergy situation.

tl;dr: I'm allergic to a lot of things! I already knew this, since I'm not a dummy, and also I did a full skin test back in 2008 and did a couple of years of allergy shots then. They were supremely helpful, but my allergen tolerance is slowly wearing off, and I've been low-grade miserable at various points in the last year.

The doctor gave me a new skin test, which revealed that my reactions aren't quite as bad as before, but are definitely bad enough to treat. And I decided to go ahead and do shots - you have to be available pretty much twice a week for four months or more, and this seems like the easiest time in my life to do them. That's especially true because the hospital is 8min away, and they will administer the shots, so that's about as convenient as allergy shots can be.

Of course, the skin test made my back supremely itchy (even after he sprayed copious amounts of benadryl spray on it and gave me oral benadryl to go), so I spent the rest of the day doing stuff while trying to ignore my back. I prepped the ingredients for cobb salads for the week, and I said goodbye to [censored], and I took my trash out for the week. I also ate leftover Mexican and talked to my parents. And then I procrastinated a bit too much (fashion photos from the Met Gala are always a lure), but I managed to write for 45min or so and so salvaged the night.

And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: