Tuesday, June 20, 2023

my heart keeps beating like a hammer

Today was great until it took a sudden violent turn at the end. I spent most of the day doing stuff for the mural festival - I worked on my balcony when I got up, then took a quick shower, scarfed down a sandwich, and went into town to meet with Nancy. We got several things done before moving on to the bigger committee meeting, which went well - there are a million things to do, but I think it will all happen. And I'm quite excited about it, so the work will hopefully be worth it.

So when I got home, I did a bunch more work on it this afternoon. Sometime around five, I took a break to eat some popcorn, do some laundry, clean my kitchen, and take care of various tings. I decided that I wanted to make spaghetti all'amatriciana for dinner, which is one of my favorites. But as I was slicing a red onion to start the dish, my knife slipped on the last cut and sliced open my left index finger.

This, needless to say, hurt. I immediately put pressure on it and held it under running cold water, but it was bleeding. And then, to add insult to injury (or injury to injury?), I started to feel woozy from the blood. I felt clammy and dizzy, and I knew things were about to get worse. I managed to mostly sit down on the floor of the kitchen before I fainted...

...and I came to a short time later (judging by my music, I can't have been out more than a minute). It was like waking up in the middle of a crime scene - the water was still running, and my dress had fresh blood where I'd stopped holding pressure on my finger, and there were drops of blood on the floor. Worse, though, was that I vaguely remember hitting my head on the cabinet behind me as I passed out - and I woke up to discover that I had broken the cabinet door completely in half.

Needless to say, this was a shock. I turned off the running water, and also turned off the water I was boiling for pasta, and retreated to my room to lie down and keep putting pressure on my finger. Out of an abundance of caution, I called [censored] to tell him what had happened - although I felt better in a few minutes and was able to put away the knife and onion, but couldn't repair the shattered door.

sssanyway. The aftermath is this: my finger is mostly fine. It didn't even bleed through the first bandage I put on it, so I'd say the cut is not a big deal. I did switch the bandage because I think the first one was too tight, and while the cut looks a little gnarly, it's not bleeding, and it doesn't even really hurt.

So, needless to say, I feel ridiculous that I fainted from it -- but also, yay me for realizing that I can't handle blood long ago, or else I would have been tempted to go to medical school, and that would have been an expensive mistake.

The other aftermath is that I have a slight headache, but I really don't think I hurt my head -- it's more likely that I have a headache because I ate a measly frozen enchilada sometime after passing out, which was not enough food to compensate for the pasta I would have made. I don't seem to have any tenderness or bruising, and I think I just hit the cabinet at the right kung fu angle with my pony tail (and the door is a solid frame with a thinner panel inset, and it was the panel that broke). I must have been sitting down when I hit it, since otherwise I would have hit my head on the counter. So, I think I'll live to fight another day (and if I don't live to fight another day, I want [censored] to get everything - and I also want [censored] to have to explain to a judge why his name is [censored]).

Unfortunately, though, I'll need a new cabinet door, which is a shame since my kitchen is so lovely and it will be not-lovely for several weeks. But there are worse problems in the world.

And now, it's time for bed (and [censored] is here tonight, so I have backup if it turns out my headache gets worse). Goodnight!

No comments: