Sunday, June 25, 2023

shivers and cold champagne

I'm exhausted, but I got a ton of stuff done this weekend, so at least there's that. I probably shouldn't have done quite so much since I'm still recovering from my bizarre kitchen accident, but my headache is mostly gone, so I'm ready to get on with things. And, more saliently, my friend Caroline is coming to visit tomorrow, so I wanted to get some house stuff done before then.

Today, [censored] and I got the dining room set up (yes, I've owned the house for 21 months, but no, the dining room wasn't a priority until now). The dining room has thus far been a place where things go to be forgotten, but I cleaned up the table that Uncle Brian gave us when he moved out of Des Moines, and it looks pretty good after sitting in [censored]'s garage for a v. long time. I cut some felt pads to put on the feet to protect my new floor, and [censored] carried it into position. We also moved my bar cabinet into its proper location, which meant I could put glassware and alcohol into it, which was v. exciting. And I planted some new seeds in my smart garden. So, this was a v. worthwhile endeavor.

I also did a bunch of other random house stuff, planted some tings that had been slowly dying in my garage (we'll see if they resurrect themselves), and generally took care of a bunch of items on my to-do list. And I made dinner, since there is no takeout to be had in my county on a Sunday night - since I went to Des Moines for groceries last week, I bought some swiss chard, and I turned it into pasta with italian sausage and chard and parmesan. The sausage wasn't actually Italian since I realized too late that I'd thawed out some regular sausage - but I doctored it up with fennel and other Italian seasonings and it turned out great.

And now, I really need to sleep so that I can get a million things done tomorrow before Caroline arrives - goodnight!

No comments: