Monday, June 26, 2023

we are all just prisoners here of our own device

I had a pretty busy day today, especially since I didn't want to do anything and yet was forced to do all the things. When I got up this morning, I wrote for an hour, which felt great. Then I cleaned all the things I hadn't gotten around to cleaning yesterday (including mopping the kitchen and main bathroom, which felt like a real victory). I also took a shower, ate lunch with [censored] (leftover pasta, which was still excellent), and did a quick bit of stuff for the mural festival.

And then, at two p.m., my friend Caroline arrived. She's my first friend (other than Katie, who knows what this area is all about) to visit Iowa since Adit, who came in 2010 (and 2020, although he didn't come to my town then) and is my only other non-Iowa friend to come here. Caroline wanted to do a classic roadtrip, and so she drove here from Colorado, with more stops in Nebraska than I personally would have made, but to each their own. She's here for the next couple of days, so we spent today in a v. lowkey way - mostly on my balcony with rosé, although we did drive to the grocery store (before the rosé started).

Caroline also got to hang out with [censored] briefly in the period between when [censored] finished working and had to drive to Cedar Rapids. Then, I made dinner - my go-too Barefoot Contessa salmon teriyaki with roasted broccoli, which was as delicious as it always was. And then we continued to hang out until the sun was almost gone, at which point Caroline retreated to her room and I retreated to my chaise to do some stuff for the mural event.

But now, I've spent too much time on screens, and it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: