Tuesday, June 13, 2023

want to fly to a place where it's just you and me

I wasn't as productive as yesterday, but that tends to happen since my productivity ebbs and flows. Still, today was pretty good overall - I got a lot of sleep, then did some market research this morning. I'm trying to figure out exactly what subgenre I think I'm writing, since that dictates some things that I may want to include or avoid. I haven't had to make this decision in quite this way before - when I decided to write historical romance, I knew pretty quickly that I wanted to write Regencies, and that was that. With this book, it could be high fantasy, or urban fantasy, or romantic fantasy, or paranormal romance, or maybe even YA, or fantasy/scifi, or something else. All of them have slightly different reader expectations, niches, etc., and the fact that I don't know what I'm writing is starting to cause me some angst.

So, I did some market research, then ate lunch with [censored], and then watched some writing videos to try to triangulate on what's blocking me. I also did a bit of mural stuff, ran to the grocery store, and wrote a bit in the late afternoon. I made spaghetti for me and [censored], using Grandma Barb's famous spaghetti sauce recipe - note that we don't have a Grandma Barb, but the random spaghetti sauce recipe I found online is a real winner.

Then, after eating, I wrote for an hour while sitting on my balcony. I also read for a bit - I started a nonfiction book about the history of fabric/textiles (called THE GOLDEN THREAD), since for some reason I think textiles might play a role in my book that I don't understand yet. And now, I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: