Saturday, October 28, 2023

you're not like the others, futuristic lover

I have never made such good time on a drive to Denver before - but I was highly motivated by the winter storm warning here, in a way that was only matched by the drive in 2020 that involved trying to beat wildfire smoke + curfews in Denver related to civil rights protests. I actually left my house in Iowa at 8:03am, which is a new record - I showered, loaded my car, made some coffee and ate some ham out of a Ziploc bag like a savage, and said goodbye to [censored], all before I usually get up in the morning. I deserve a medal, but I don't know what governing body would give it to me, so I'll just have to award it to myself.

The drive was thoroughly uneventful - all across Iowa and Nebraska, it was tempting to take my time and eat a real lunch or stop places, but I did my very best to forge ahead (although I had breakfast McDonald's and lunch McDonald's). But I started seeing alarming amounts of snow and ice on eastbound cars around North Platte, so I forged ahead. I drove through snow through most of Colorado, which picked up after Stirling... But at that point I felt committed, since it was still only 4pm. So I booked a room in Denver (which I hadn't done since I wasn't sure I'd make it here), and I made it into town around six. The last hour felt treacherous, and my door didn't want to open when I arrived because of how much ice/snow had accumulated around the bottom of the frame, but made it without issues.

Once I checked into my hotel, I decided I didn't want to go out for the night - and the last-minute deal I booked included a food credit, so I spent it on an excellent salmon dish and some wine at the hotel restaurant. I was going to do some work, but instead I read a book, and it was delightful. And now I'm going to finish unwinding and go to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: