Saturday, October 07, 2023

the higher ups will tell you what you can't eat, where you can't go, how to dress, how to act decent

I had a relatively good day - I didn't get as much done as I intended, but it was far better than nothing. I did some writing this morning, which is feeling like molasses, but it was a worthy attempt. I also did a handful of other chores before showering, eating some soup, and going into town. There was an open house at the battery factory today, and I wanted to see it since I'd never been inside (and my dad's company did some of the construction work on the expansion a few years ago). I happened to run into some people I knew when I got there ([censored]'s friend's family), so I mostly walked around with them, and it was pretty interesting to see the manufacturing process.

Then I went to the museum, where they were opening a new '100 Years of Batteries' exhibit to celebrate the long history of battery manufacturing here. I got there just in time to see the ribbon cutting. Separately, I also talked to a guy who collects Native artifacts and has started making his own replica pottery based on fragments found in the state, so that was pretty interesting.

Having experienced enough culture for one day, I came home, ate a snack, relaxed for too long, and then forced myself to clean. My bedroom and office have been mild disasters for the past couple of months (starting when I no longer had impending house guests and got swept into the mural festival), so I did a deep clean of my bedroom - fresh sheets, laundered duvet cover, thorough dusting, vacuuming, etc. It has suddenly turned to fall here, and according to the temperature sensor in my bedroom, last night was the coldest night in my room since May. So, I put some flannel sheets on the bed and I'm ready to get cozy (even though my spirit is not ready for winter).

Eventually, [censored] and I went out to the parents' house, where we had brats and potato salad and baked beans in defiance of the onset of autumn. Unfortunately the brats were accidentally beer brats, thanks to a likely mistake at the grocery store meat counter, but they were well cooked and the potato salad/beans were perfect, as always. So we all caught up for a bit, and then [censored] and I came back to town, where I cleaned my office for the last couple of hours. I still need to dust and vacuum, but I got all the mural stuff put away, organized my papers, cleaned off my desk, etc. It's starting to feel like I can get down to actual work here, but we shall see...

And now, it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: