Saturday, October 21, 2023

hardtop impala, blank checks and cannonballers

I was quite productive today - perhaps more productive than I wanted to be, or at least in different ways than planned. I did sleep in a bit, but after I had some coffee we got to it - [censored] had access to some of my dad's equipment and there was a list of tings we wanted to do outside. This mostly involved using a lift to clean out my gutters - I felt rather guilty because [censored] did all the cleaning, but this meant that we weren't both on the lift and in danger of getting stuck if something happened. I was also able to fetch various supplies, hoses, etc. without [censored] having to climb on and off the lift, so I'm consoling myself with the idea that I was useful. While [censored] was up there, we also installed a solar panel to provide permanent power to one of my security cameras, so we'll see how that works.

At some point my dad stopped by to inspect (or impede) progress, but we wrapped up all the gutter stuff and took a break for some leftover ham and scalloped potatoes. Then, despite wanting to take a nap after the potatoes, I rallied and went outside to put some tings in my shed, finish cleaning up some flower pots for the winter, etc.

And then [censored] brought over a different piece of equipment + a log chain and used it to pull several tings out of my yard. The previous owner left behind an old clothesline that was embedded in an overabundance of concrete to anchor it, and [censored] managed to excavate it. Also, we had several trees coming up around my flagpole - the flagpole was in the wrong location for my tastes, but a tree there would be perfect, and one of the volunteer trees was a catalpa that looks like it could be nice if it survives. So [censored] pulled the other trees (a mulberry, an elm, and a tiny shoot of maple) and also pulled the flagpole. It's unclear whether the catalpa was damaged in this process beyond a cut root, but [censored] watered it and filled dirt in around where the flagpole/concrete had been, so hopefully it makes it through the winter and thrives next year.

After all that, I folded some laundry, took a quick shower, and ran into town to pick up dinner. The Mexican restaurant has been closed for remodeling for months, but they opened their food truck this weekend, so I picked up food for [censored] and the parents. It was all v. tasty, and it was definitely nice to hang out and not do yardwork in the evening.

And now, I need to sleep so I can get cracking with other tings tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: