Friday, May 17, 2019

spark joy

I wrote before work this morning, which was a good thing - it helped me to feel just a bit more sane and grounded before all the usual madness began. Then I worked straight from 8:30 to 4:30, most of which was meetings, which definitely did not spark joy.

But I left at 4:45 to get a manicure, which did spark joy. Then I grabbed a bottle of wine and a quick dinner, came home, and drank a couple of glasses of said wine (using my v. wonderful Coravin, which means I didn't have to open the bottle and so am not obliged to finish it this weekend) while binge watching four episodes of 'Tidying Up' - Marie Kondo's show on Netflix.

As it turns out, I read her book four years ago right now, while I was lazing about in Bora Bora on my spinster honeymoon with Joann (Joann sent me a message earlier this week saying it was our four-year anniversary and that we need to plan a trip for our five-year, which I'm all in on). As I recall, Joann thought it was ridiculous that Marie Kondo recommends folding your socks a certain way to let them relax while you're not using them, which may be fair...but the tv show is designed for American audiences and so only goes into her method for folding shirts and pants, not her slightly more bizarre recommendations for some other things.

I've actually been using her shirt-folding method for several years, which I'm all in on. But I haven't really Konmari'd the rest of my house - and now that I'm going to be moving into a new one, which I will likely be staying in for quite some time, I want to massively purge my current stuff to avoid dragging known problems into my new space. So, the show was meant to be inspiration to start the purge this weekend. The first three episodes were great; unfortunately, the fourth episode was about a widow who was cleaning out her house and dealing with her husband's clothes in their shared closet, and so I sobbed through most of it (it's Uncle Mark's birthday on Sunday, so he's on my mind anyway, and watching a show about someone dealing with the aftermath of a recent loss was probably not the best method of dealing with grief).

However, the show as a whole was fun, and reminded me of [censored]'s speculation that Marie Kondo would have a nervous breakdown if she saw [censored] and the seventy years' worth of stuff there. By comparison, my place is in pretty good shape - but some purging is definitely in order.

Now, though, I need to sleep - I have coffee set to brew in eight-ish hours, and I want to get some stuff done around the house before going into Denver to pursue some fun plans. So now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: