Sunday, May 19, 2019

she's got a boyfriend anyway

Today was way more productive than my Saturdays usually are - I'm pretty determined to purge stuff before moving, so that was the main goal. I got up around eight, drank some coffee, and immediately dragged all the clothes out of my closets, dresser, etc. and threw them on my bed, thus forcing myself to make progress if I wanted to sleep tonight. Marie Kondo's method involves doing all the clothes at once, rather than doing a closet or drawer at a time, which seems to make a lot of sense - when you see how much stuff is piled in one place, it's a grim reminder of how much stuff you (or at least me) have accumulated.

So I spent a couple of hours this morning doing that, but I took a break to drive into Denver and have brunch with Barbara. She drove up from Colorado Springs to meet me, and we had a delightful time - we caught up over food, and then we walked across the street to Room and Board and did some window shopping (and some lounging on some outdoor furniture that I'm now completely coveting - I'm thinking of going lounge-y with my outdoor furniture, and I was seriously impressed by the fact that the upholstered furniture on the rooftop deck all felt dry despite the rain we'd had a couple of hours earlier). It was great to see her, and it was nice to have one social activity today to get me out of the house.

After that, I thought about doing some more shopping in Denver, or sticking around and seeing Katie...but the specter of the huge pile of clothes on my bed was enough to lure me back home. I spent most of the rest of the afternoon/evening dealing with the clothes situation - I was able to eliminate a lot of stuff that no longer sparks joy, and it's vaguely sorted into piles that I may be able to sell vs stuff I can donate vs stuff I just need to recycle/toss. Unfortunately, I also had to confront the fact that many of the pieces that still spark joy don't really fit because I gained about twenty pounds between traveling, not working out, and eating at Google (and probably also from being stressed/depressed last year). So, while this is probably not strictly following the KonMari method, I kept the clothes that spark joy but don't fit, although I put them into a storage box rather than hanging them back in my closet. They don't take up much space, so I'll give myself a year to see if I can fit back into them...but for now they'll just have to spark joy in a box rather than on my body.

sssanyway. I tidied up the last thing around ten p.m., and while I still have piles in my room, everything has been sorted and my bed was cleared again. Then I took a break and watched another Marie Kondo episode, which was a funny reward for having just spent all day cleaning, but whatever.

And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: