Wednesday, September 16, 2020

baby i'm faded, all i wanna do is take you downtown

I had one of the weirdest nights of the year, not gonna lie. The day was normalish - I woke up, said hi to my parents, and then slogged.

Oh, I buried the lede - I'm in Iowa. Long story, only here until Sunday. I had intended to fly in today, but came in yesterday for reasons.
 
But I left home at 3:30, drove to Des Moines, checked into the Savery (which has Aveda products and caters to millennials), and took a six o'clock meeting from here. Then I met up with Adit (some people call him the cat)... This is what made the night so strange. I haven't seen a friend other than Katie, Barbara, and some work people since February, and my social skills are completely rusty, and even when I did regularly see Adit it was not in Iowa (although he's the only friend who has been to my home town). Adit was in Iowa for one night only, and I happened to make a trip, so we met up.

We had dinner at Court Avenue Brewing C, which made me a v tasty salad to enjoy while we watched an endless procession of the same three cars going around and around the block. The waitress also comped us shots, which tells me we may get out of the apocalypse after all. Then we walked past a liquor store on the way to the hotel and bought some fireball, which we put in coke zeroes to drink in the lobby. Both our waitress and the hotel receptionist told us with great jubilation that the bars had opened earlier than expected tonight, but drinking illicit fireball in the lobby felt more our speed.

And now I need to sleep so I can get back to my parents' and work tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: