Saturday, September 26, 2020

only got bad things on my mind when i'm with you

Work was surprisingly stressful today; Fridays are usually pretty chill, but I had meetings all day and was trying to prep stuff for more meetings, and I had to present to a couple of VPs, etc., etc. So, it was not exactly the calm end of the week that I wanted...but the presentation went well, so I guess it could be worse.

As soon as I was done with meetings, I made a run to H Mart up in Westminster. I'm feeling eager to get back into cooking ridiculously elaborate meals that are too much for one person (but perfect for instagram), and I want to go deeper into the Burma Superstar cookbook (among others). H Mart is a Korean grocery chain and I didn't realize they were in Colorado, but I'm glad I found them. It was kind of a trick to find everything on my list because I didn't know the store layout, I didn't know what some of the jars and bottles and things would look like or what section they might be in, and many things were imported and so occasionally not in English. But it was pretty fun to explore, they had a ton of produce for way cheaper than Whole Foods, I did finally find pickled green mango, I saw more variants of rice noodle than I realized were possible, and all in all it was delightful. And now I know where I can get gallon jugs of beef blood if I ever need it (I don't). It also wasn't very crowded at 5pm on a Friday, which is good to know.

Of course, by the time I got home, I didn't have time to start an elaborate recipe. So I put my groceries away and ate leftover chicken and wild rice soup instead. Then I played with my new gel manicure light -- I haven't had my fingernails done since the apocalypse started, and I was really missing that little bit of fanciness, and then a coworker friend gave me a light and the top/base coat for gel manicures for my birthday. So I did my nails, and I took the time to file my nails, soak my cuticles, etc. While I was doing my nails, I watched a couple of episodes of TASTE THE NATION (Padma Lakshmi's culinary show), which I adore. And my nails turned out pretty well, so we'll see how the polish holds up.

Then I picked up the book I started last night (BIG SUMMER) and read later than I planned, but managed to put it down and not finish the rest of it. There are still superficial similarities to some of what I'm writing, but the twist in the middle is definitely not what I plan for my book, so that's a relief. And now I need to go to bed, because I have a big day planned tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: